View Single Post
Old 05-15-2010, 07:37 AM   #12
Lolasmom33
Yorkie Talker

I wish you and Mee-Kah the best of luck. You're lucky you get to bring her home on the same day! I had to keep my baby there over night and that was, without a doubt, the worst part of the whole experience. She will probably be a little loopy for the first 24-36 hours after bringing her home and her breath may stink from the anesthesia so you need to keep an eye on her. You should get a surgical collar or inflatable ring to prevent her from chewing at the stitches. Keep her off of couches and chairs or anything she can jump off of. Make sure she takes it very easy for the next two weeks. You may want to keep her in her crate or if you have a pet stroller, keep her in that. The stroller is wonderful because it limits her activity and you can wheel her around with you as you go about your business; this will comfort her being able to be close to you and you can have piece of mind being able to keep an eye on her.

She'll be back to her old self in a couple days and that is the dangerous part. Activity is your enemy and that is where something like the stroller comes in handy. You don't want the stitches to be ripped. My Lola did wonderfully for the first week and a half and then a few days before she was due to get the stitches out, she decided to do something she had never done before and follow my fiance by jumping over her baby gate! She ripped her stitches and even though it was almost healed, they ripped badly enough that she bought herself two more weeks of recovery time!

Luckily, when you get your male fixed you won't have as many worries. Neutering is not major surgery the way spaying is and while there will be some recovery time, it won't be nearly as daunting! Be prepared for a lot of kisses when you pick your baby up (if she's not too out of it)! Overall, the experience is probably more stressful for you than your babies, but it is well worth it! Lola and I will be thinking of you and Mee-kah!
Lolasmom33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!