View Single Post
Old 05-15-2010, 07:32 AM   #1
danniko
YT Addict

Default Sophie is refusing to be trained..

I am looking for suggestions on a good training book for Sophie.

My fiance and I are getting really frustrated with her and it is starting to frustrate her as well.

She is almost 11 months (where did my little puppy go...) and all she knows it how to "dance" - she stands on her hind legs and spins around. I think she knows how to sit, lay down and wait as well, but she is way too stubborn to do it.

I followed advice from online trainers to use treats and positive reinforcement, but now, Sophie will not for the life of her sit unless she sees something in my hand (she nudges my hand until she sees the treat) - and even then she takes multiple tries before she actually puts her bum on the ground.

We are just getting so frustrated because it isn't from lack of trying, we have worked on her almost every day since she was about 4 months old and she still won't do it.

The thing with her though, is that she isn't a crazy, hyper dog...she is well behaved (uses her pee pads, comes when called, can walk off a leash - we only do it when there is no one around though...so i don't think she can do it with distractions) and she doesn't bark when she is left alone.

This has all been brought on because when we brought home our kitten, she started getting really aggressive toward Libby with food and toys, and it was then my fiance and I realized something has to be done asap so we can keep both of them safe. Obviously, we would never get rid of Sophie, we are just looking for any advice on training her basic commands (she is just so stubborn, when she finally does sit and we tell her to wait and she actually listens - she starts doing her little frustrated bark and growl at us.

We want to take her to a training course, but we have looked into some and private lessons are beyond what we can afford right now and the class sessions are all in the evening and my fiance and I both start work at 4pm Mon-Fri (I get off at 9:30pm and he gets off at 12am), so that make evening classes impossible.

I work Saturday morning usually and he works Sundays occasionally, so even places like Petsmart don't have a time that would work for us (all their later in the day Saturdays are puppy classes and she would be in the beginner class).

So someone please help us! Little Sophie is so stubborn and we are looking for suggestions on a book to purchase to give us a little more insight on how to train her.

Last edited by danniko; 05-15-2010 at 07:33 AM.
danniko is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!