Thread: Anxiety/barking
View Single Post
Old 05-13-2010, 08:03 AM   #7
Maximo
♥ Maximo and Teddy
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeyandtanksmom View Post
Thank you for the reply All the stuff we've done hasn't just taken a week...this has been over the past year and a half...he's had the anxiety and barking issue since he was about 6 months old - we got him at 12 weeks. I'm gonna stick with working on it with him, but I would love to find a way to let him know that he's never gonna be abandoned, you know? I'm definitely gonna continue the training with him though.
If you haven't already, try these suggestions:

1) Make sure your dogs get plenty of exercise, including at least one daily walk (ideally in the morning and at least 30 minutes, more if your dogs are high energy)

2) Give your dogs structure: try to stick closely to a schedule for mealtimes, exercise, waking up and bed time, etc

3) Give your dogs a little massage therapy once a day (there are teaching resources out there for how to give a dog a massage; I give my brats a massage every day)

4) Try yoga-like deep breathing exercises while you are with your dogs (this has made a world of difference for my oldest boy in the car and on our walks)

5) Do 5-10 minutes daily trick training with your dogs to challenge their minds and exhaust them mentally; they will love the structured interaction with you and appreciate the praise and treats

6) Always praise when they do things right, like pottying where they are supposed to, etc

7) Refrain from yelling; this will only get your dogs more worked up and excited and prone to bad behavior

Hope some of this helps with your Joey.
Maximo is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!