Thread: Seizures
View Single Post
Old 05-12-2010, 06:40 PM   #13
maryeverett1
BANNED!

Unlove The most difficult decision...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BethFRG View Post
I think you misunderstood me. We take excellent care of this dog from vet visits, making her food to making sure her beds are orthopedically correct for her. (Just ask our vet.) It's just difficult to know what to do when they get to this stage at this age. We have no intention of putting her down until she is in pain. She is happy and comfortable at this time. I'm just asking for advice from people who have experienced the seizure thing as we haven't.
I so feel your pain. A year ago in March my 17 year old cocker whose vision was gone but was still happy started to have seizures out of nowhere. We took her to the vet of course and they just said it is either old age or somethings really wrong. Either way she is on her way out. I took her home in complete denial of what was coming and told myself if she had another seizure I would start thinking of what to do. A week went by and she had a violent seizure in the middle of the night. I knew then that she was telling me it was time. We spent the next week giving her all her favorite yummies, took her to the groomer and had her pampered, bought her a new shirt and collar and showered her with as many kisses as she would tolerate. I asked friends and family what I should do and even my husband all of them said it was a decision that Marley and I had to make together and I would know when she was ready because she would tell me. She had another seizure and it became very clear to me that I was holding onto her when she was clearly ready for selfish reasons. I didn't want to say good-bye. My husband said something to me that helped me have the courage to do what was right for her...not me. He said that throughout her life she had been my best friend, my companion and many times a comforter. She had stood in the gap licking away tears in some of the darkest moments of my life and now I had the choice to honor her and let her go without a serious and violent incident, peacefully and in my arms instead of on an ER table. The morning of her passing was one of the hardest moments of my life (Ive lost 4 human babies and it is right up there with that) we got into the car to go to the vet and she laid on my lap. I rolled down the window and she sat up to have the breeze blowing through her hair. We went in and they gave her a sedative because she was very anxious and she relaxed in my arms. The doctor left and said he would come back when we were ready. We held her, kissed her, told her how much she had meant to us (sorry lots of tears as I write this, need a break...) how she would never be forgotten and no one would take her place she looked up at me and relaxed. They came in to give the final shot and as her heart stopped beating and she left this world having done right by me so many times, I knew I had done right by her.

I tell you all of this to say, no one can make this decision but you and your precious little baby. Don't wait until things become violent or she is suffering. Honor her life and service to you by letting her go when she tells you it's time and you will know when that is. It was truly the hardest decision I have ever had to make but when you have loved a dog for 17 years and know them inside out you will know when she is ready to go! I am glad I was able to be as selfless for her in those final moments as she had been for me her entire life. I had friends ask me how I could stay in the room as she passed (and this is a personal choice and don't feel bad if you can't when it's time) but I said how could I not be there for her when she had selfless given her life to me and needed me in that moment to give her strength to move on knowing my love was there to support her? It was a precious moment and one I will never forget!

If there is anything I can do to be a support to you during this time please do not hesitate to ask! It would be my privilege. I know you love your baby and you will do what's best for her! She has lived a full and wonderful life with you as her owner and your memories and the bond you share with her will help you make the right choices for her! Praying for you and here if you need anything!
maryeverett1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!