View Single Post
Old 05-10-2010, 08:33 AM   #3
Lizzie07
YT 1000 Club Member

Don't reprimand him at all if you see him going - - he may think "she doesn't want to see me go," and get really sneaky about pooping when you aren't looking. Keep him on a leash or in a crate if you can't watch him every second. Most dogs have some kind of signal that they have to go, really watch for his and be sure to praise, praise, praise, and treat when he does poop for you outside or on the pad. Keep him on a strick schedule for feeding and learn his habits. If he always poops after he eats (most dogs do), then really watch him after you feed him until he does. If he is afraid he might be punished if you see him going, you might have to take more time to wait him out, but he will go eventually. When he does, have a party and really reward and praise. The only way you are going to be able to get him to quit pooping anywhere but his pad or outside is if you really work at it and make a super human effort. I am sure you will get there, but it really depends on you. You can let him off the leash if he has recently gone, but be careful and be careful to not assume too soon that he is trained. Keep reinforcing him. Two of my dogs are 15 yr old girls and even at their age, I still praise them and occassionally treat when they potty outside.
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!