Thread: Please help!!!
View Single Post
Old 05-06-2010, 10:02 AM   #13
107barney
T. Bumpkins & Co.
Donating YT Member

I'm sorry to hear about lil Ann!

Dont freak out - as others have said, a BAT of 96 postprandial could be MVD as opposed to a shunt. Daisy's BATs were around this level when we first learned she had MVD.

In our case, Daisy was over 6 when diagnosed and we opted to do the ultrasound through our specialty hospital here as a first step. Our u/s showed a small liver and this led the analysis more down the road of MVD in our internist's analysis.

I have to disagree with some posters. I would not try lactulose, Hill's or any of that until you have had a licensed veterinarian make the correct diagnosis. Once you have that diagnosis, then suggestions here may warrant discussion with your vet. There are some similarities between treatment for dogs with MVD and liver shunt but each dog is an individual and just like us, there is no "ONE SIZE FITS ALL" approach for this or any disease. I say that because my dog is on none of those things. She does not need lactulose, does not eat Hill's L/D, and does not take any supplements. We do excellently with her on a home cooked diet alone and her liver has consistently shown improvement. At nearly age 10, Daisy's blood work is almost completely perfect!

Good luck, we will be praying for little Ann!
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!