View Single Post
Old 05-05-2010, 09:59 AM   #5
Roccosmommy
Donating YT 1000 Club Member

I had the same problem with my boy, and was told by YT'ers it was because I got him too young (he was 8weeks old), and he wasn't taught biting etiquette by his littermates and mom. I believe this may be true and really did try everything but what ultimately worked was timeouts in his crate (you could probably also use an ex-pen or a small confined area). Try this: when he bites, say firmly (and without emotion) "NO bite" and then offer him a toy or chew treat to divert him. If he continues to bite, say nothing and very gently, calmly place him in his crate, close the door and say "NO bite". Ignore him completely for 1-2 minutes or until he is calm. Then open the door, say nothing and let him go about his play. He will quickly get the message that his behavior gets him alone time and he loses his "playmate" (you). Most important is to be consistent and all of you should do this EVERY time he bites again (even if it's every 10 minutes) and stay very calm while giving him his timeouts. This took about a month total for us but you should notice a big change within a week. Good luck!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!