View Single Post
Old 05-04-2010, 10:00 PM   #12
capt_noonie
www.yorkierescue.com
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy1999 View Post
I'm always a little upset with threads like this, while you may be a trained surgical nurse, I'm afraid that the next person who reads the advice given will have no training at all. Can't the price for dewclaw removal be tacked onto the price for puppy? If you don't have a mentor who will train you, perhaps you could work out something with your vet and he will train you? The problem with people giving step-by-step advice on a forum is it could be wrong, or someone might misunderstand a part of the procedure, or it could sound so doable that many breeders will start doing it themselves. This is exactly the reason why people want to see dewclaw removal outlawed; someone shouldn't attempt it who has just read a paragraph or so on it. You do sound like a person who could be trained to do it properly, and I hope you seek out an experienced person to train you. I've read that the AKC has classes; perhaps you could look into that?
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommadog1 View Post
I just use small scissors and snip them off, but you have to make sure you get all of it or they can grow back. There are some video's online, check youtube.com and there are several that show you from start to finish. You may have already seen some.

I think that is you feel comfortable doing it, then go for it. It is very easy to do. I normally do it right after they are born because they do not seem to feel it, not even a whimper! And I can get it easier because it is so soft (the bone and cartilage).

If you can get some numbing cream use that before you do it. If not then use oragel to numb it up.

if you want you can PM me.

When I started doing dews and tails (on cockers) I was shown how to do it. But it took me a long time to be able to do it without cringing..

Also, if you do still want the vet to do it, he can do it up until they are a week old without any problems. My vet wont do it past 4 days though.
Isn't this EXACTLY what Nancy was advising against??? check out youtube? Use oragel? OMG. I have never seen this procedure done, but just reading this diy stuff made me gag and I almost barfed! $30 some bucks in not a lot to have it done by a vet!

I learned how to crochet on youtube. I also learned that I NEVER want to breed bc of youtube. I guess people learn what they want to learn from youtube.
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!