Thread: a few questions
View Single Post
Old 11-28-2005, 08:45 AM   #8
YorkyKids
Currently Suspended!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ldenise
these puppys are 5 weeks old now and i have been giving them their soggy food. my question is how often should I be feeding them? ahia is still feeding occasionally also. they are not by any means starving. all are gaining weight nicely. I don't want to over feed them but I don't want them being hungry either. not sure how often to give them food. as pups I know they will eat as often as i offer it. LOL.
I am also trying to cut back on food & water for ahia to help dry her up. she seems to be most hungry at night. am I doing this right?
and one more question for right now... at what time is it safe to have her spayed?
When the puppies start eating from mom's bowl (3 to 4 weeks).....I ground up puppy kibble (dry) in the blender until it's like brown corn meal. I keep this dry grounded kibble in their pen at all time. I no longer mess with wet foods....unless the puppy has a health issue.....he doesn't need the sloppy, soupy stuff! LOL About 8 weeks I mix the grounded dry with whole kibble....and they change themselves over to whole kibble at their own speed.
If mom is not nursing much....just feed her dry kibble. She will wean the pups naturally when she is ready. No need to "dry her up" as the puppies suckle less she will stop producing milk. The only exception would be a show mom who needs to get back in the ring.....then one does things differently and may make a attempt to wean the puppies sooner...so she gets her figure back quicker. LOL
As for spaying check with your vet......somewhere around 6 to 7 weeks post whelp should be safe.
d
YorkyKids is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!