View Single Post
Old 04-30-2010, 10:53 AM   #10
kjc
I♥PeekTinkySaph&Finny
Donating Member

1. Food: Follow the instructions on the bag, to start. If he is underweight, feed 25% more than recommended, for weight gain. For maintenance, feed reccommended amount and watch his weight. If he is losing weight, increase the amount feed at each meal, or add more treats or an additional feeding. At his age he should be fed twice daily. The bag or can will give you a daily amount, just divide that in half for each meal. These will differ for different types/kinds of food being fed.

2. When he gets a proper, regular diet, anal gland issues normally will clear up on their own. Some dogs will hide under furniture, or be visibly uncomfortable when their glands are full. Scooting their butt on the floor is another indicator that he may need some help with expressing his glands.

3. Play is learned. You will have to find something that stimulates his interest, like a ball, a squeaky toy, a tug toy, a Kong with a food item in it. It may take months for him to want to engage in activities. Right now, he might enjoy just going for walks, and petting. Keep introducing different things to him, and show him you will play with them too.

4. IMHO, good idea to neuter, and blodwork beforehand is necessary.

5. You can use Q-Tips or Gauze squares to start, apply the enzymatic toothpaste to the QTip or gauze and rub it on his teeth. The paste removes the plaque moreso than the brushing. (enzymes)

6. He may not know much language at this point in his life. Keep talking to him, like when you feed him, pick a phase such as "time to eat" or whatever, but use the same one for each activity. Eventually he will make the association. My personal reccommendation: Every nite before bed, sit with him and tell him "What a Good Boy" and pet and love on him. Even if he had a bad day. Make it a ritual. A trainer once told me that the 'Wh..' sound in 'What' gets their attention more than just saying 'Good Boy', so you may see results quicker with that method.

7. He'll respond more to your voice, and he may come to you to initiate petting or play. I knew, after eight months of work with my rescue, when he gave me my first kiss on my cheek, that I had won his trust and was making a difference in his life.

8. Coats: they make some that velcro attach at the front of the chest and behind the front legs. Great for dogs with head/ear issues.

Good Luck with him....
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!