View Single Post
Old 04-28-2010, 02:47 PM   #13
capt_noonie
www.yorkierescue.com
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BellaDonna View Post
I have tried everything people mentioned in the above posts and none of it stopped my two poop eaters. Out of 6 dogs 2 eat poop and it doesn't seem to really matter what I do. The funny thing is that they don't like ALL poop but tend to like poop from certain other dogs. This leads me to believe that some dogs digest and burn food better than others and therefore if it isn't thoroughly digested and burned by the body it may be more interesting to poop eaters.
Your first step is to always pick up after her when she poops. That is going to be the best thing. After that you might try changing what you are feeding her to something else and see if it continues. You might find something that she doesn't like the second time around!
When I switched all mine to Canidae about 6 weeks ago my two poop eaters don't seem to have nearly as much interest. They still occassionally do it but they don't seem driven to do it like before.
Good luck!
I agree it's a digestion thing. The poop eaters are most likely have a nutrient deficiency, now which nutrient, who knows? I saw on victoria's show that for poop eaters, you need to slow down how fast they eat. Something about them eating soooo fast that thier bodies are not breaking down all the nutrients and then they look for it elsewhere (poop). Try feeding small handfuls at a time, or one by one. I feed one by one while doing trick training too. Takes more time, but I have never had a poop issue, and I had previously fed Uni not that good quality food before (science diet).
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!