View Single Post
Old 04-27-2010, 06:14 PM   #9
Melcakes
Senior Yorkie Talker

Thanks for the reply everyone very helpful and insightful!

I wonder why they call it the Durmane Max 5 then according to Fort Dodge though? I guess I just assumed according to the name it was a 5-in-1 even though it really is 4-1 .

I wasn't sure about the dog's age being relevant or irrelevant with the rabies shot because I've read a few different opinions that one should wait until 24 weeks if possible and if their state law allows. I think that's Dr. Jean Dodd's protocol too if I'm not mistaken. I'm not in Cali anymore (4 month state law for rabies) and can wait up until 6 months!

I'm interested in the titers. I'll have to ask Dwerten about them. I've read good things and bad things about them and that they can be very tricky.

I've read that for Parvo and Distemper really the only reason why one re-vaccinates is because one is habit, and to catch those few individuals who for some reason don't respond to the first vaccination. I read to that a single immunizing dose of a modified live virus vaccine - in other words, one vaccine that works - will form long term, probably lifetime, immunity to parvo and distemper.

I think it may be a good idea for my friend to have a titter done since she is concerend about the age and frequency that the puppy shots were given to her little guy.I don't think it could hurt. I know that some puppies will not form immunity due to improper timing of vaccines and typically earlier vaccinaiton is clearly a doomed strategy and with more frequent vaccinations it makes the problem worse! Just not sure if 7 weeks is considered too early or not and if 2.5 weeks between vacinnations is too early and if it can interfere with the immunity from the first vaccine as well as the second? That's when my friends little guy was first given his 1st 4 in 1 puppy shots and then thereafter spaced out 2.5 weeks apart or maybe 2 weeks apart (now looking at the dates).

This puppy shots from the breeder were given as follows - 1st 4-in-1 shot at 6.9 weeks old (48 days), 2nd at 8.9 weeks (62 days), and 3rd at 10.9 weeks (76 days). He then was also given a shot of Distemper by the Vet at 13 weeks of age. The puppy is now 19.1 weeks old (4.4 months).

Can titers be done at any time after a dog has been vacinated? I know you should wait up until 7-10 days after the vaccination but is there a time frame that is too late (I'm guessing not, but not sure)?

I know I'm definately going to wait and stay at the Vets after my little girl gets her Rabies shot too as I'm sure my friend will also. The information posted too about spliting the doses for the Rabies vaccination is food for thought. Thanks 107barney too for the link from AAHA. I'll take a look at it and read through what they recommend as well.
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!