View Single Post
Old 04-27-2010, 05:07 PM   #3
107barney
T. Bumpkins & Co.
Donating YT Member

Teddy got rabies at 16 weeks old in accordance with state law. He had a booster shot 1 year later and is now good for three years.

The vaccine you referenced is a 4-in-1 not a 5-in-1. Adenovirus type 2 is the virus that causes Hepatitis (they are not two diff things). So the vaccine, DH2PP is Distemper, Hepatitis (adenovirus type 2), parainfluenza and parvovirus.

As for rabies, it is not usually one that is titer because of state laws.

Your friend's dog having had a reaction to DH2PP would concern me on the rabies shot. Having the dog be older is irrelevant in my opinion.

Once a dog has a reaction to a vaccine, the reactions get worse and worse. If you read Brandi's story on the RIP thread, you'll see how some people are not given the facts or the options available.

At the very least, your friend should talk to her *new* vet about premedications. My understanding is that normal veterinary protocol is benadryl pre-med. I'm not a vet though so can't be sure about that. I'd also wait in the waiting room after the shot for a while. Our vet let us sit in his for about 45 mins. We combed Teddy, played with him, etc.

Yes, the dose for rabies is the same, it is not dosed by weight of the dog.

I should mention also about the benadryl -- in a dog that has NOT had an adverse reaction, like Teddy, we were informed that it was not recommended to use Benadryl or pre med drugs. We gave the shot, sat in the waiting room, and watched Teddy for several hours to make sure he was fine.

My other two dogs have had many vaccines over the years, including the *bad* ones (as the landscape has changed dramatically over time in this area) and we've never had problems.

Good luck.
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!