View Single Post
Old 04-27-2010, 04:44 PM   #1
Melcakes
Senior Yorkie Talker

Default Consent to Vaccinate & Q's Q's Q's

Just curious do people's Vets here have them sign a Consent to Vaccinate? I thought this was standard practice, but my friend told me when she brought her puppy in to get an examination after getting him that her Vet (one she picked out because she didn't have one and thought he looked good - he deals with small animals in particular and had good reviews online) didn't even tell her what they were giving her puppy! He just vaccinated him and didn't even describe or warn her of any reactions that might occur or what to do in a given situation when a reaction occurs or go over a vaccination schedule with her!!

Needless to say this little guy got his Distemper (which I think he didn't even need since he already had 3 rounds) and Bordatella via intranasal (even though it's not a core vaccination and she didn't mention anything about her little guy needing to being kenneled or groomed)! With all of this her little guy threw up a little within 30 minutes on the car ride back home from the Vets!! My friend was scared, but didn't know what to do (thought it may be care sickness) and just kept a watchful eye on her little guy when they got home and luckily he was fine. However as she is doing more research about vaccinations (as well as myself) we both are just shocked by this Vet! She didn't report the reaction because she didn't know her rights at the time. Can and should she still report this and how would she go about it?

My friend really feels like screaming her head off at this Vet and I don't blame her. She feels awful that she was ignorant to the dangers and had such blind faith in this Vet and she is sick to her stomach that all her research and books she read into getting a furbaby never carried vaccination warnings or Corporate Veterinary Warnings!!

Also, this little guy got his 1st round of shots at 7 weeks I believe and it was the puppy 5 shot series ((Distemper, Adenovirus type 2 (and hepatitis), parainfluenza, and parvovirus) from the breeder she got him from. She hates the fact that it was the 5 shot series to and not the 3 shots series! He was then revaccinated every 2.5/3 weeks I believe up until around he was 12 weeks of age (when she got him). Is that too young? I've read so many different things about when to begin puppy shots. Everything from under 8 weeks is not safe and can have serious side affects to starting at 6 weeks is ideal? And that the shots should be spread out 3-4 weeks. Is there any dangers or the risk that these shots her puppy got from the breeder aren't going to be effective since the shots were given 2.5 weeks apart and what seems like so young? I believe the vaccination regime the breeder used is the "Dog Vaccines By Fort Dodge" one.

The puppy is now 4.5 almost 5 months old and is due for his Rabies shot and she is wondering if she should wait up until 6 months (24 weeks to get it) or get it it now? Not sure if there is a big difference in waiting an extra 4-6 weeks or not? I'd like to hear people's advice and thoughts.

I know she was going to talk it over with her NEW Vet. She is scared that he may have a bad reaction to the Rabies shot and I don't blame her! Can the rabies shot be given in partial doses? Does anyone know? I don't understand how a 50 pound dog and a 2.5 pound dog are given the same amount of doses in these vaccinations!!! I've heard of some Vets (although not common) given part of the usual dose of DHPP and then titer test in a few weeks and verify that your dog has immunity! Not sure if this can be done with the Rabies shot or not? I find it interesting though.

I've also heard but haven't researched something called a homeopathic remedy for the rabies vaccine called Lyssin? Does anyone have any information on that?

Does anyone titter test their furbabies? I'm thinking that maybe this little guy should get titter tested for parvo and distemper?

Sorry for such the long posts and all the questions but any insight, thoughts and recommendations would be great!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!