View Single Post
Old 11-27-2005, 04:28 PM   #1
terisuebernie
Yorkie Talker

Sad First Litter Whelped - Lost 2

Well, my first litter came at day 58. 3 Females, one male. We lost the 3rd female that night, her intestines were born on the outside (anyone ever have that??) what causes it? The 4th one who was less then 2 oz. died on day 3. The first 3 days were horrific. The mother kept getting out of the box and picking the tiny one up by her head and throwing her at me, putting her under beds, in closets, etc. It was so sad and the little one kept crying and crying and crying. The vet said she would have eventually died, and probably would have died sooner, if My daughters and I hadn't started to bottle feed her. She wouldn't nurse from Mom. Now Mom is calm, cool and collect and girl #1 AND boy are doing wonderful! They are eating like crazy, their eyes have just opened, and she's being a great mom. Those first three days were unbelievable, as I had to sleep literally right next to the whelping box to keep the mom in with them. I guess she just knew something was wrong. The vet said she would have thrown that pup out in the wild to get it away from the rest of the litter so she could protect them. It was quite an experience. I'll keep everyone posted on the these two. Is that normal to loose two? #1 was almost 5 oz. and #2 was 3 1/2. The last two were 2.5 and under 2 oz. They were the two that passed.
terisuebernie is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!