View Single Post
Old 04-26-2010, 10:21 PM   #15
Connie
Loved by Maddie & Libby
Donating Member

I am so sorry to read about Layla having medical problems.

I have to tell you...from your first post, a ruptured disk in her back came to mind immediately. My daughters yorkie had that happen a couple of years ago. He was paralyzed in his back legs. Our vet told us that the first sign of a back problem is the dog will not walk up stairs. We were told we could treat it with prednisone and pain killers or we could take him to the University for surgery. He did tell us that he has seen as many dogs recover from this without surgery as with. We treated Kirby at home and had to keep him in a small cat crate unless we held him on our laps, and carried him outside to potty and then carry him back in. The reason for that was to keep him from much movement as that disc was pressing on the spinal cord and if it penetrated the spinal cord, it would be permanent paralysis. It took weeks of recovery and he lost all his muscle mass and looked so pitiful, but one day he started walking and there was still a little foot drag, but it was so much better and he wasn't falling over as he was doing before.

Have your vet do x-rays of her back. This just sounds so much like what happened with Kirby. Kirby recovered fully and we were all so thankful. I will say a prayer for your precious baby.
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!