View Single Post
Old 04-25-2010, 04:24 AM   #14
topknot
Donating YT 2000 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaFan121s View Post
I posted this in another thread a few days ago, but I think it is applicable here as well.
Here is a list of red flags to look for when you are considering a breeder. Check and see how many (if any) of them apply to this breeder.

* Dogs not being bred to meet the breed standard. (Which means you have to have a good understanding of what the standar is.)
* Dog that are unregistered
* Breeders who have multiple litters in a very short amount of time
* Advertising dogs as "teacups" or "minatures"
* Breeders using females that are too small (under 5 lbs for breeding)
* Extremely cheap dogs--breeding comes with costs, extreme low prices suggests they are cutting corners somewhere
* Pet store dogs (these are supplied by puppy mills)
* Breeders that do not perform health testing on pups and parents (specific health tests, not just "vet checked")
* Releasing pups at a very young age---6 wks, or 8 wks. For Yorkies, releasing them around 12 weeks is preferred
* Breeders who don't place dogs on spay/neuter agreements
* Not having a sales agreement with health guarantee

Thanks Misty. I think the health testing is a big one around here that many do not do to save costs. So sad!! Every pup and parent should be tested and screened! Doesn't make sense to me why anyone could in good faith breed two dogs together and not do the health screenings/testings or hand over a pup to someone and not do the screenings/health testings on that and each pup. Shocker to me, but there are so many breeders that skip this (health testings) here in my state. One should always ask and get a copy of the puppy's results when they purchase.

Last edited by topknot; 04-25-2010 at 04:26 AM.
topknot is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!