View Single Post
Old 04-24-2010, 07:44 PM   #2
cj125
Mia, Max and Moe's Mom
Donating Member

The following was taken from that site...

FAQ: How old are my puppies when they go home? This info is
taken directly from
AKCs own site: "Many animal behaviorists agree that socialization reaches its peak at the 49th day (7 weeks). At 8 to 9 weeks, the pup can go to his new owner and home. (If you choose a good breeder,) He has received human contact and love. He has been exposed to different environments and house breaking. Now the breeder can choose with confidence their pup for future breeding and showing. And they can place the puppies they choose to sell according to their temperaments in homes with new owners. Different personalities will match different homes and families. The individual attention, interaction and love that puppies receive during their first seven weeks are invaluable and will reap lifetimes of rewards." My puppies are healthy and not prone to hypoglycemia, etc. as some pet store and backyard breeders puppies are. One of the best Yorkies I ever bought, I got when she was 5 weeks old- so smart and bonded with her people. My puppies often go home around 8 weeks with great success, as you will read on the Happy Families page.

I don't agree with her belief that it's ok to get a puppy at 5 or 8 weeks of age. Large breed puppies may be ok to go home at 8 weeks (NOT 5) but it's not advisable for a toy breed to do so.

Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!