View Single Post
Old 04-24-2010, 12:21 PM   #6
Deb3R215
Yorkie Talker

Default Answer to questions

Thanks so much for responding. Regarding the questions about what he had when he was sick it was several things. About 1 week after I got him, he started coughing, I took him to the vet and he was diagnosed with Kennel Cough. They gave him antibiotics and some other medicine I don't recall and he got better within a couple days.

He was fine for about 5 days after his recover and then one day he started throwing up, at first it seemed like his food but then he was throwing up white foam which the vet then told me was probably bile because he had nothing in his stomach. He didn't want to eat and was very dehydrated. The vet gave him medicines, a shot for the dehydration and he slowly recovered. He had also lost a lot of weight at that point. He had been at 1.8 about 5 days before and was then weighing 1.2. I was so scared, he seemed so sick and he was so tiny it was just breaking my heart. Thankfully he recovered and hasn't thrown up since. He now eats a lot better and drinks a lot of water. He was then doing well for about 3 weeks until I took him to the vet for his 3rd booster shots (I do believe that they have given him the shots too early but I didn't know this before) and they gave him the 3rd booster shots of parvo/distemper and the bordatella shot (he was 14 weeks at this point, today he is 16 weeks). This was about two weeks ago. The vet also told me that he had an ear infection. I had my doubts about this since he seemed fine and had no symptoms but the vet took some brown wax out of his ears and said it was an infection. I bought the ear cleaner and Tresaderm drops for the infection because I figured it was better safe than sorry. That day after the shot, he was very down for the rest of the night but by the following day he was perfectly normal. He then was totally normal for a week. It's been for a couple of days that I see this difference. It really wouldn't concern me if he had been like this from the beginning because he's not lethargic just more calm and seems more uninterested in things. Like I said he's eating well and no other symptom I can see.

He is scheduled for his final set of parvo/distemper next weekend (he'll be 17 weeks then). Do you guys give your yorkies the bordatella vaccine? He got one that day but I have read negative things about it and he's scheduled to get it again next weekend, would you recommend I just let him get it or refuse it?

I wish I knew if his behavior is normal, maybe it's just his personality but I do worry so much all the time about him. I absolutely adore him and just want him to fine. I guess I will probably watch him for a couple more days and then decide whether to take him to the vet or not.

I haven't been using any new cleaning products that I can think of. I only clean with those odor removers that I have been using from the beginning and sometimes water and vinegar. I also sometimes light scented candles in the room where he's at but I can't imagine that would affect him in any way. He has been eating the same food and I can't think of anything that is different.

Please let me know if you think he really needs the vet or if it might be normal. Thank you so much for your help!

Debbie (Cutie's mom
Deb3R215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!