View Single Post
Old 04-24-2010, 10:46 AM   #1
Lula-Mae Famous
YT Addict

Confused "we can help?" Im starting to think that we can't...

I don’t have a lot of time to post this so I’m just going to try to quickly get my point across and will be back later to tie up the loose ends.

I started a thread about things we can do to help educate and put an end to BYB and puppymills. I started writing a letter to YCA in regards to a new breeder listing page. I’m stuck. Why? Well it goes back to when I was looking to buy my dog and the hell I went though. I now have a friend who is also looking, when she asked me on advise I could only tell her. Rescue! Do not deal with the breeders. Its not worth it, just rescue.
BUT WAIT!? Wasn’t I just about to set up a breeder referral?
Back to my friend, I told her about this site and told her I would keep my eye out for a puppy. The thing is, she wants to spend close to $1000. She knows what she can and can’t afford (when I was looking I also had a price range in my head and promised myself I wouldn’t fall in love with a puppy over my price range because I also factored potential vet visits, x-pen, food, etc. in my puppy budget) So I went to look in the classifieds here and there was one of the breeders I called during breeder hell…. Stalked the profile a bit, thread hopped…. I end up on a thread of “what not to ask your breeder” that sounds interesting enough. After reading a few posts I became sick. “I won’t sell to a person who asks about price first”.
So now I go to the “How much does a yorkie puppy cost?” thread well now! That doesn’t seem right.
Anyway, I guess my question is this; When looking for a pet, if we are “supposed” to stay away from breeders who breed for profit (puppymills, BYB), as well as breeders who breed for show, yet are supposed to buy from breeders (hobby breeders?) and NOT backyard breeders……..(whew)………. what is the difference between them all in YOUR mind (I have my own ideas)?
Now forget the BAD places, when looking for a healthy, pet, puppy, where do you go?
Why are the prices for pets so similar to dogs for show?
What happens to a puppy that is not show quality and then what is the difference in price?

It seems price, availability and advertizing are the only reasons puppymills are still in existence. Im not trying to generate a war, Just need some advice and serious answers to what I think is perpetuating the existence of puppymills in general.
If I’m going to try to make a difference I guess I’m going to start my journey with the breeders and work my way down to the consumer….
Again, I had to type this in like 2 minutes so I hope its readable, eeeep :P
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!