View Single Post
Old 04-22-2010, 11:20 AM   #28
Woogie Man
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy1999 View Post
My knowledge of th UKC is nil, do they do kennel inspections?
I'm in the same boat, but do plan on looking into them. Maybe others can chime in about that. I do want to show my dogs, but wouldn't want any success I might be lucky enough to have to be under a registry whose ethics I find questionable.

I'm not sure the kennel inspection thing is so meaningful to me. I mean, there are AKC dogs in mills. Most of the AKC suspensions I've seen posted have been due to bad record keeping (which is important) rather than anything to do with the welfare of the animals (more important).

I do think a registry that had a surge in registrations would be responsive to that group rather than taking them for granted....which would lead to more influence on the direction they would follow. I would think that if the top exhibitors were to boycott AKC for a time and show in other venues that AKC could be persuaded to more closely follow the breed clubs' code of ethics rather than fraternizing with millers. If not, there would be another registry that would welcome them and that registry would become 'the' registry. A registry gets its credibility from those associated with it, not the other way around. The top American dogs are AKC and that's where it gets its reputation from. Those same dogs would give another registry credibility in the same way.

Last edited by Woogie Man; 04-22-2010 at 11:25 AM.
Woogie Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!