View Single Post
Old 04-22-2010, 10:34 AM   #11
imaketodaycount
YorkieTalk Newbie!

I have a male named Bandit, that is just over 2 years old. About a year ago, he started doing a behavior that I described as "watching flies buzzing around his head". I had him checked at three different vets and they could not find what was wrong with him. It progressed and he starting snapping at the air so I video taped his behavior and took him to a neurologist. The neuro told me it was a form of seizure and put him on potassium bromide (PB). He said we could do an MRI to try to identify the problem but even if we found it, what would I be willing to do for him? (I'd just spent over $5,000 on my AAI pup.) He said we would try the PB and if that didn't work, we could try phenebarbitol. We went up and down with the PB... even had to mega dose him for a while to get it to stop.

Although the behavior did stop, he started having so many other issues from taking the PB that after about 6 months on the PB, I decided it wasn't worth all the side-effects and weined him off myself. While taking the PB, he was hungry ALL the time and acted like I never fed him... went from 8 pounds to 14 pounds. Had a hard time breathing, and got very clumsy/lathargic at times.

He doesn't seem to be in pain and doesn't do it all the time, although it is frequent, I think it bugs me more than it does him... he is much happier without the meds too. He's already dropped a few pounds, is in control of his body again and playing like he used to so I am just letting him live his life and he seems to be enjoying himself. I really don't know what the cause is, I've just accepted the situation and try to make the best of it.

I'm not sure I've helped you at all but thought I'd share my story and will try to answer any questions if I can!

Jamie
imaketodaycount is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!