View Single Post
Old 04-22-2010, 07:14 AM   #1
BellaDonna
YT 500 Club Member

Default Be watchful when using this treat

This morning before work I decided at the last minute to treat the dogs and gave each of them a new treat that had just arrived. They are called Breathies and made of chicken. Suppose to be very natural products so I felt good about it. They are about the size of a quarter but the texture of a rawhide chewie.
Each of them took their treat and the two larger chi's had no problems but they have jaws of steel. The smaller chi's were able to chew on them and had enough experience to gnaw on them. Well Bella is 17 weeks today and at first she tried to chew it but then I noticed she was acting a little odd and I approached her. She ran to her crate and I followed. Instead of letting me look she ran again and I ended up having to follow her back to the crate for a second time and cornered her. The problem was she had tried to eat it and the whole thing had become wedged in her upper mouth. The edges were caught on the teeth and the rest was wedged in the top of the mouth. She couldn't get it out and was probably a little panicky but she also didn't want us to take it from her. I got the hubby to hold her while I pried it loose.
My husband cut it with scissors in to six pieces that she could handle better and from now on thats what we will have to do.
Everyone may not have this problem but I realize that if we had left the house before realizing she had a problem it could have become a major issue.
Here is a picture of the product. I think it is a great item but I intend to cut mine up before treating with them again.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Breathies.jpg (32.0 KB, 14 views)
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!