View Single Post
Old 04-21-2010, 04:17 AM   #2
Mardelin
Mardelin Yorkshire Terriers
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaylorWoods View Post
I'm curious and I was having a debate with my breeder on the topic.

My female came from a mother who was bigger than the father and she is tiny and looks exactly like her father. Of course her litter mates were bigger and her sister is almost twice her size.

It interests me because it's always so hard to tell the size the puppies will be. It is definitely not an exact science! I have just purchased a second Yorkie as a companion to my little girl and looked for one who would be the same size as her and thus how we started to discuss this. He is only 4 weeks old so it's hard to tell at this point. His litter mates were a range of sizes from TINY to double his size! (There are SEVEN of them!) He is somewhere in the middle. But when I was talking to my breeder she said it's better if the male is the same size or slightly larger than the female and that it is not necessarily the male than determines the size of the puppies but more the female. Although all her males are all smaller in comparison to her breeding females.

Other posts I read say the opposite, so which is true? Do the puppies inherit different traits from each parent depending purely on the strength of genetics?

I can't wait to see how my new little boy turns out
Let's see if I can explain this.

If one is line-breeding, the first 3 generations in the male and female are what goes into the make-up of each pup. With the dam and sire contributing 50%, Grand sire and dam 12% and Geat Grand sire 12%. That is unless there is a dog within a pedigree that is repeated multiple times with in the pedigree.

Canine genetics and especially that of a yorkie is a somewhat complicated. If one is line breeding, one can guesstimate what a pups adult weight will be, but it's not an exact. Now during the growing process, pups go back and forth, one that was tiny at birth, can grow up to be the largest in a litter and vice a versa...
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!