View Single Post
Old 04-20-2010, 08:49 AM   #9
Ellie May
And Rylee Finnegan
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cirlonde View Post
So I'm totally new to the idea of not vaccinating after the puppy boosters. How do vets react to this? Do you still take your dogs in for regular check-ups, and if so, how often? Well, I guess you'd get the regular check-up with the rabies shots, huh? I would worry about a vet trying to belittle me or make me feel ignorant if I told them I didn't want the yearly shots but just a check up. I tend to cave under that sort of negative pressure. Our last vet was really awesome, but I never felt like shots were an option with her...as in, it wasn't an option to not give the shots. Though she did prefer to give the rabies and DHP 6 months apart...however, I can't help but wonder if that was more a marketing ploy to get clients to pay for two office visits a year as opposed to one.

Also, if rabies weren't required by law, would you stop giving that shot as well? I ask because I've always wondered about rabies with these little inside dogs. My girl is never, ever outside without me at the other end of her leash because we don't have a fenced in yard. So the chances of her contracting rabies seems awfully far-fetched.
-C
I'm sure there are many people who don't vaccinate just so they can skip a vet visit, but most of us on YT who choose not to may be at the vet more often (probably b/c we are very, um, preoccupied with our dogs' health). If a vet makes you feel ignorant, it's time to find a new one. It's okay to ask any questions you need to and voice your concerns, and work our your vax protocol "with" your vet and not feel bad about it. If they don't like it, there are plenty other vets out there.
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!