View Single Post
Old 04-18-2010, 09:05 AM   #4
Mardelin
Mardelin Yorkshire Terriers
Donating Member

Per my repro vet; if your girl is on a high quality dog food, it is not necessary to switch to puppy food. Just increase the feedings around the the 5th week . But, I've also, switched to puppy food at the last trimester. The trick for me was to insure they were eating a high quality food and increasing their feedings.

I give calcium supplements with litters that have 3 or more puppies. The thing to remember is that to discuss the proper dosage of any calcium supplement with your vet. As they will base the dosage on your girl's weight. Calcium in order to be effective must have the correct dosage of vitamin D to absorb properly. I'm not sure if Rob Roy's Healthy Bones has that correct ratio (BJH has probably discussed this with her vet and could better answer that). According to my vet PetCal does have the correct ratio. Scrambled egg also has natural calcium, so an egg a day is recommended.

No calcium during pregnacy, this would inhibit the bodies natural production of calcium and induce eclampsia.....Wait until the litter is born.
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!