View Single Post
Old 04-16-2010, 08:11 AM   #5
Wylie's Mom
Furbutts = LOVE
Donating Member

Should I get another pet?

When or if you should get another pet varies with the individual and the choice is a personal one. Some people may want to find a new pet almost immediately. Sometimes, they may have unrealistic expectations of the new pet, especially if they are getting a young, rambunctious animal after an older, mature one has died. Others need longer to work through their grief before they are physically and emotionally ready for another pet. In either case, we all know you are not replacing your pet, but finding another animal with whom you can share life. Some people may find it is just not possible for them to have another pet. You need to do what is right for you.

In general, you should give children some time before getting another pet. Getting a pet too soon may cause the child to feel guilty or disloyal, and they may have difficulty bonding to the new pet. The child may also think that if something happened to them, they would soon be forgotten and a substitute would be found. They need to understand that friendships cannot immediately be replaced.

People who have a pet who has died need to talk to someone. Often, family members and friends are very supportive, but in some instances, they may not understand how important your pet was to you. It is important to find someone who does understand.

Pet Loss Support Hotline -(800) 565-1526

The compassionate people who staff the Pet Loss Support Hotline understand the emotional attachment people can form with animals of any kind. When a beloved animal dies, is in failing health, is stolen, or must be placed in a new home, the end of a relationship with a special animal can be one of the most difficult times of your life.

We are available simply to listen, to help you sort through emotions or questions you may have, or to help you find support in your geographical area. We also have supportive materials we can send to you, free of charge.
Hotline toll-free phone number:

Tel (800) 565-1526
Hours: 6:30 to 9:30 p.m. PST
Monday through Friday

UC Davis Center for Companion Animal Health

Note: Summer/holiday hours may vary

°¨¨¨°ºOº°¨¨¨° Ann | Pfeiffer | Marcel Verdel Purcell | Wylie | Artie °¨¨¨°ºOº°¨¨¨°

Last edited by Wylie's Mom; 03-15-2011 at 07:27 AM.
Wylie's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!