View Single Post
Old 04-16-2010, 08:08 AM   #2
Wylie's Mom
Furbutts = LOVE
Donating Member

What do I do with my pet's ashes?

Most pet crematories take every precaution to ensure that the cremains you receive back are from your pet. Amounts, color and consistency will vary as there are differences in the type of equipment and methods available.

Cremains are considered to be the earth part of the spirit. It is what belongs in the physical world. Keeping the cremains is a means of keeping the memory as physical as possible while the spirit is free hence the reason for keeping ashes in an urn.

There are indeed many other options for what one can do with ashes from a beloved pet:

Spread them in a favorite spot in the yard.

Bury them with a memorial tree (well diluted with topsoil as ash is very alkaline and has a high salt content.)

Set them free on a bridge over a favorite river or pier at a beach.

Separate small amounts and gift them in keepsakes or jewelry to family members.

Store them to be buried or re-cremated with the owner.

Hold them for dispersal until you feel ready.

Mix them with cement and make something which will last several hundred years.

Adhesed cremains: put a drop of white glue onto a suitable surface of a locket and then add a small amount of cremains. Stir with a small wood stick and let dry. A dusting of cremains is where cremains are put over the drop of white glue and the excess shaken off back into the urn. These techniques are similar to what is done on certain Saint and relic pieces. A photo may be placed either opposite or over the mixed wet adhesed cremins as it will still retain the glue properties.

At one time similar jewelry was considered very apropos especially during the Victorian era. Lockets and brooches were usually worn under the clothing and often held painted miniatures as well as locks of hair or even bone or ash. Keepsake type pendants are all descendent of relic type pieces which were especially popular during the middle ages but used in various forms since time immemorial. Keepsakes are a physical link to a memory that holds forever.

°¨¨¨°ºOº°¨¨¨° Ann | Pfeiffer | Marcel Verdel Purcell | Wylie | Artie °¨¨¨°ºOº°¨¨¨°
Wylie's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!