View Single Post
Old 04-13-2010, 12:37 PM   #23
DvlshAngel985
Donating YT 2000 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuickSilver View Post
You might be interested in the discussion going on in the articles section, http://www.yorkietalk.com/forums/yor...cats-dogs.html

This discusses the problems that a lot of municipal shelters have (bad "customer service", etc).

Sadly, if a shelter has a high kill rate, which many L.A. shelters do, it's actually better that they don't screen. Some shelters actually have 90%+ kill rates, so an animal that stays is almost guaranteed to die. They'll have a better chance with anyone who is willing to take them.
Unless they're returned. I volunteered for the SPCA and they have quiet a few returns. They do screen but sometimes it just doesn't work out. It's sad because one week I groom a very nice dog, then he/she isn't there for the next grooming, so of course we're all happy for it, then they're there for the next grooming. We had a doggy named Xena returned to us 4 times because she was high energy. The adopting family knew this up front and would guarantee that they would exercise her and work with her energy level. She was even adopted to an avid hiker once and even that didn't work out because of her energy level. I think that's why screening is important and I'm happy YTNR does screening. I don't know what their return rate is, but I do think it's sad that so many people do get dogs on impulse only.

Sorry Britster! We're so off topic at this point!
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!