View Single Post
Old 04-12-2010, 12:02 PM   #5
dwerten
BANNED!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deb3R215 View Post
Hi Everyone! I wanted to know if anyone can help with this ear issue. I took my 14 week old puppy to the vet yesterday for his 3rd set of vaccines. The nurse at the vet took out wax out of his ears and told me he could have an ear infection. It seemed substantial and it was brown. She asked me if he ever scratches his ears which he never has. I also had never cleaned his ears, I guess I hadn't thought about this before. The vet then came in and looked in his ears with a camera looking thing and said his ear drums were very inside and he couldn't see well. He said he might have a slight infection but he honestly didn't seem too convinced. I go to a Banfield vet and he's not the usual one I see. I honestly didn't like him very much. He wasn't very willing to answer questions. He then told me it would be like $100 for everything he was prescribing. He wanted to give my puppy a Dexamesthasone Injection, Ear Cleaning, GlenHaven C1/O Otic 12 oz and Remicin Ear Ointment.

I didn't understand why he needed and injection. I refused everything and told him I would bring him back in a couple days because I didn't have the money. I didn't want my puppy getting another injection, they had already given his two shots and he was terrified. The nurse then gave me a dirty look and told me to bring him back tomorrow because the infection would get worse.

I was trying to research ear infections to see if he has any symptoms and I read the ears would smell bad (which I don't think his do) and he could have something oozing out of his ears (he doesn't either). I'm just confused. I'd do anything that is necessary for him to be ok but I feel like everytime I take him they find something wrong and then have a long, expensive list of things they want me to do and buy.

Can anyone with more experience give me their opinion? I was considering going to another vet but I am already in their wellness plan so they don't charge me the office visits and I know another vet will and I can't afford too much more right now. He has been pretty sick in the past and I've done everything they told me but this time he seems perfectly fine so I'm not sure if they are just over prescribing or what. I had never cleaned his ears so I also think maybe it was just normal wax. But I'm scared of not doing what they say and then he gets sick.

I appreciate any input.

Thank you so much! This forum really has been a life saver.
whoa first off i would not go back there EVER sounds like a typical banfield story

you do not need a dex shot unless that dog has a HORRIBLE EAR INFECTION and if that your dog would be rubbing ears, scratching, crying as they would be in pain. It could be ear mites due to the age of the dog as that is usually black in the ear as my dd had them when i got her from breeder

the two times my dex had ear infections were from groomer plucking them so since no plucking no more ear infections. Depends on dog but i do not pluck any of my dogs and have not for years now and no ear infections in three dogs and i have a maltese with floppy ears.

If your dog had an infection you would know it dex would scratch his ears and start to whine, the ear is red and inflamed from scratching and sometimes there is an odor. I knew it right away so ran him in early as soon as i knew a difference in his behavior and was right each time he had an ear infection.

would be very odd for me to believe your dog had an infection and not scratching and whining nor the ears not being red and inflamed.

i would RUN not walk from this vet and BANFIELD ask around and find a better private practice vet - maybe post a thread here on looking for a vet in and put your area and maybe someone here can help you find a better vet

the vet gave me panalog one time and otomax one time

she said not to pluck anymore so we did not and it depends on the dog as some dogs have a ton of hair like my friends maltese and it is thick curly hair and poodles so they need plucking but mine have thin ear hair so we do not do it and no ear infections

Each time she did a culture came back in and gave me meds - no steroid shots

Last edited by dwerten; 04-12-2010 at 12:06 PM.
dwerten is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!