View Single Post
Old 04-12-2010, 07:57 AM   #8
ndyorkiemom
Donating Senior Yorkie Talker

NO NO and NO!
I am a breeder and can tell you that unless you know what you are doing, have had your boy tested and her bitches have had all of the testing done you don't even want to think about it. Breeding isn't something to be taken lightly, there are so many things that can go wrong.
Your boy could catch a VD from her females, he could possibly be injured during the tie if the female starts to move around or gets scared during the tie and decides to run off. Is your boy of such stature that he should be used for breeding? What qualities make him worthy of passing his genes onto future Yorkies. Once a male is used for breeding he will start marking around the house (even a house broke dog will do this).
As for the owner of the bitches, is she ready for the possiblity of losing one or both of her females during whelping due to complications. The possiblity of needing c-sections, having to hand rear the pups which would mean feeding every two hours for several weeks. Does she have homes lined up for the puppies once they are ready to go. Is are either of you prepared to take back any puppies in the future if the need arises?
I could go on about all of the things that go into breeding but I think this gives you an idea of what I'm trying to say.
Breeding isn't something that a person should do on a whim, it takes a great deal of thought and knowledge. Do you even know what her females look like, what their pedigree is? Are they even worthy of breeding as far as being what is called for in the Standard (coat color, size, personality, confirmation)?
I hope you will really think hard on this because even though you don't own the females as the stud owner you still hold some range of responsiblity for the puppies. Just because a dog has champions in his or her pedigree doesn't mean they should be bred. The best lines in the country still can throw poor examples of the breed which shouldn't be bred but do make wonderful neutered or spayed pets.
As for you not believing in neutering a dog, if he is your companion and you are not interested in learning about breeding for yourself I believe he would be a much better pet if he were neutered. It doesn't hurt them and can keep you from having to worry about testicular cancer in his future.

Join today and remove this ad!