View Single Post
Old 04-12-2010, 06:14 AM   #2
Mardelin
Mardelin Yorkshire Terriers
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deb3R215 View Post
Hi Everyone! I wanted to know if anyone can help with this ear issue. I took my 14 week old puppy to the vet yesterday for his 3rd set of vaccines. The nurse at the vet took out wax out of his ears and told me he could have an ear infection. It seemed substantial and it was brown. She asked me if he ever scratches his ears which he never has. I also had never cleaned his ears, I guess I hadn't thought about this before. The vet then came in and looked in his ears with a camera looking thing and said his ear drums were very inside and he couldn't see well. He said he might have a slight infection but he honestly didn't seem too convinced. I go to a Banfield vet and he's not the usual one I see. I honestly didn't like him very much. He wasn't very willing to answer questions. He then told me it would be like $100 for everything he was prescribing. He wanted to give my puppy a Dexamesthasone Injection, Ear Cleaning, GlenHaven C1/O Otic 12 oz and Remicin Ear Ointment.

I didn't understand why he needed and injection. I refused everything and told him I would bring him back in a couple days because I didn't have the money. I didn't want my puppy getting another injection, they had already given his two shots and he was terrified. The nurse then gave me a dirty look and told me to bring him back tomorrow because the infection would get worse.

I was trying to research ear infections to see if he has any symptoms and I read the ears would smell bad (which I don't think his do) and he could have something oozing out of his ears (he doesn't either). I'm just confused. I'd do anything that is necessary for him to be ok but I feel like everytime I take him they find something wrong and then have a long, expensive list of things they want me to do and buy.

Can anyone with more experience give me their opinion? I was considering going to another vet but I am already in their wellness plan so they don't charge me the office visits and I know another vet will and I can't afford too much more right now. He has been pretty sick in the past and I've done everything they told me but this time he seems perfectly fine so I'm not sure if they are just over prescribing or what. I had never cleaned his ears so I also think maybe it was just normal wax. But I'm scared of not doing what they say and then he gets sick.

I appreciate any input.

Thank you so much! This forum really has been a life saver.
Your pup could very well have an ear infection. However, I don't understand the reason for the injection. What is normally done, is a culture taken to identify whether it is a yeast infection or a bacterial infection. The vet should have removed any hair from the ear canal, flushed and administered an ointment known as Otomax. Even if it was a precautionary measure. Otomax is administered twice a day, but flushing of the ear should be done once a day. The vet should have recommended an ear cleaning agent that had a drying agent. The meds should be continued for 10 days. Banfield is not the best of places to get vet care for your pup. An ear infection is very serious.....so, it should be taken care of ASAP. To prevent it from happening again, make sure your pup's ear canals remain devoid of hair, and administer a cleaning solution with a drying agent after every bath.

Now onto vaccinations....you mentioned that your pup was 14 weeks of age at had received his 3rd set of vaccines....way to early; first innoculation between 8 and 9 weeks, 2nd at 12 weeks and 3rd at 16 weeks......
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!