View Single Post
Old 04-10-2010, 09:57 PM   #1
roxyprincess
Yorkie Yakker

Default Missed Vaccination Year Booster for Distemper and Parvo...Please Help

Unfortunately Kona missed her year booster for her vaccines including distemper, parvo and rabies. She received her core puppy vaccines at 9 weeks, 12 weeks and 16 weeks and her rabies around 24 weeks. She was supposed to go back in June for her year booster on all. Unfortunately I was unaware that she needed the year booster as I was trying to follow Dr. Jean Dodds Recommended Vaccine Schedule but unfortunately misunderstood that Kona needed the year booster after the last puppy series shot to build the immunity. When I took Kona in to get spayed around the end of February the Vet is the one that pointed out that she had missed her boosters and that usually you can go a few months after when they are supposed to get the 1 year booster, but that it had been so long that she said that Kona would need to repeat the series of the distemper parvo and receive one shot and then come back in 3-4 weeks for the second distemper parvo booster. I got her rabies that day and waited to do the parvo/distemper in a few weeks. Because the vet I went to for the spay is expensive for an office visit I went to a low cost vet to get her the parvo/distemper and when I asked the vet about returning for the second booster in a few weeks the woman said no need to come, that the one parvo/distemper shot was fine. So now I am extremely confused…I want Kona to be protected and properly vaccinated...so I kind of want to follow the first vets advice, but I also do not want to over vaccinate her.

My main question is do I need to get her the second part of the Distemper/Parvo series?

*Its been 3 weeks so she would be due for the next one if you guys recommend that she get it.

Now that I have messed up her vaccine schedule by her not receiving the 1 year booster is she no longer going to be properly immune for around 7 years like mentioned by Dr. Jean Dodd?
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!