View Single Post
Old 04-07-2010, 06:57 AM   #40
dwerten
BANNED!

Quote:
Originally Posted by megansmomma View Post
So do they administer the Propofol via IV? Isn't there always a possibility of Malignant Hypothermia with any surgery? The likelihood would increase with the length of the PT being under anesthesia and how "deeply" they are put under. In humans the body temperature is part of the monitoring process along with BP, pulse OX, brain activity etc during any surgery. If a dog is only put under for say 20 minutes or less for a dental are the risks of Malignant Hypothermia really that great? Isn't the reason due to vasodilation from the anesthesia that in turn causes the body not to regulate temperature correctly. I understand how it applies to humans but I am not sure with dogs. I would think a dental in a dog would be more of a twilight type of sedation as opposed to say a spay surgery where they would need to be anesthetized much deeper because the vet is entering the body cavity. In humans it is not as cut and dry as the product being administer as to the type General, Mack, IV sedation etc and the type of surgery being performed. I'm wondering if there are different ways to anesthetize a dog like in a human? I've seen you toss around Propofol and Isoflurane as the drugs of choice so I am wondering if there are other drugs or are these the safest to use because it is all being administered by the Vet and there is no Anesthesiologist to monitor during the surgery.
usually there is someone monitoring usually the vet as most vets do not do the dental it is the techs that do it and why i go to a board certified dentist as he does the dental. I know some vets use sevo but it brings the dog back much faster than iso and has no smell like iso has so why some like it. I think sevo is more expensive and why some do not carry it as well. Not sure how they administer propofol but i think it is used prior to masking as just straight masking is very stressful on a dog as they are awake. There is ket-val which i would not let them use i prefer propofol as ket-val can trigger seizures in dogs prone to seizures. Also there are chemical forms of anesthesia old school and not safe and alway have them do iv fluids as some people cut corners to keep the cost down as they do not want to pay the 600-1200 to do everything safe and if something goes wrong they cannot bring your dog back quickly like they can if they have them on iv fluids. I prefer to pay more get the best doing the job have full mouth digital xrays so if something is bad under gum line get it out so they have to go under less times as any time they go under there is always a risk.

Last edited by dwerten; 04-07-2010 at 06:59 AM.
dwerten is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!