View Single Post
Old 04-06-2010, 06:49 PM   #14
kate07
BANNED!

I used this for maybe a week or so on my new puppy, because I heard good things about it and that it prevents tear staining. However, upon more research I learned that it does contain a low dose antibiotic called Tylosin which is technically a prescription only item (an offence to buy or use it - technically speaking). With any antibiotic given long term it can cause the dog to build up a resistance, making it very hard for a Vet to treat the dog if it gets an infection. And it can be harmful to the kidneys and liver also. It really only should be used for short periods and even then the stains may or may not come back when you stop. I haven't had any real problems with tear staining or eye discharge, so I opt not to use it. I heard if you want something you can use safely all year long to look at Naturvet or Angels Delight by Bichon Hotel. I haven't looked into these two other mentioned items yet, but I have stopped using Angel Eyes. Also, I believe tear staining/discharge has a lot to do with a dogs diet and what you feed them. It's more common I believe in food with higher protein levels.

Last edited by kate07; 04-06-2010 at 06:52 PM.
kate07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!