View Single Post
Old 11-23-2005, 07:55 PM   #13
SnowWa
YT 2000 Club Member

Well - Shame on me - I got my puppy from a Pet Store also.

I got a little male Yorkie - took him to the Vet the next day and got a clean bill of health.....testicles dropped, good knees, good heart, no noticeable problems. The Vet said that she certainly does see a lot of problems in pet store animals - but said mine appeared to be perfectly happy and healthy.

This particular pet store has been in Spokane forever - same owner. It isn't a very large store. They do a lot of grooming and sell pet supplies. And - they don't have a lot of pets for sale. Their animals appear happy and healthy and appeared to be well taken care of.

They assured me that if the vet found any serious health problems I could return him for a full refund. Also - I do give them credit for this. No visitors in the store were allowed to handle any of the puppies or kittens If some one was interested in purchasing a puppy, they could handle it. The owners and anyone else who handled any puppy or kitten had to wash their hands - every time!

Also, once I said I was interested in purchasing a particular pup - I was let hold and play with it... The store was busy, but the owners (father and son) spent so much time (45 minutes or more) talking to me about Yorkies and how to care for them that I almost wanted them to finish so I could take my new puppy and go home. They gave me numerous handouts - care - feeding - etc. and read through each of them with me and explained everything.

The owner gave me a card and told me to call him anytime (even in the middle of the night) if I had any problem - even if the puppy wouldn't eat.

They did give me a paper saying that the puppy is registered AKC and CKC.

The paper gave information about all its vaccinations and when the next ones are due.

The puppy's tail is cropped and it's dew claws have been removed. Before I left the store with it, it was taken to the back room - spiffy cleaned, nails clipped, and bows placed around his neck and on the top of his head. He looked good and smelled good and was ready to go.

They did tell me that the breeder raised Yorkies and that this puppy's mother had had 5 litters and is not going to be bred anymore. Sounded like they had sold her puppies before.

---------------

As far as papers - I'm am going to check back on that. On the papers they gave me - it does have the breeder's name and the names and numbers of the sire and dam. So - I will get back with them on this.

I'm sure my Yorkie is pet quality. Looks like he's not going to be 7 pounds or less - they said they believe he will be between 5 and 10 pounds ---which is fine with me. He has a 21-pound Bichon who is already (in two weeks) his best friend - and a couple extra pounds won't hurt him.

--------------

So - maybe I lucked out. I don't know why I bought him from a pet store. If I had thought about it, I knew better than to do that. I think it is because I wanted a Yorkie so bad - and had looked for quite a while - that when I found out they had two - I ran, looked, loved and bought one.

Maybe, in spite of my stupidity, I lucked out and visited a store that is a little more above board than a lot of them are.

I'll keep you posted on whatever happens regarding papers. I want to get papers - but really don't need them. My puppy is a pet and will be neutered when it's time.

Carol Jean
SnowWa is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!