View Single Post
Old 04-03-2010, 04:50 PM   #1
casi
YorkieTalk Newbie!

Question itchy scaley stinky

so here's the story, i got my baby yorkie in january and everything was great. he was born october 21st. the breeder told me he had never had a bath before and to wait about two weeks before bathing him because he might go into shock if i do so sooner. i gave him his first bath and used a gentle puppy shampoo. shortly after this i began having problems with his skin. first it started with a small patch of dry skin on his back. i assumed he was allergic to the shampoo or maybe he nneded more oils in his skin. i read that supplementing olive oil in his food could help. i did this, after about three weeks it got worse, i then changed his food to wellness, no change, changed his shampoo to an oatmeal and aloe shampoo, no change, to a medicated shampoo and it got worse. i have been using conditioners during baths and spray ins as well. still its getting worse, he has scratched several bald spots into his back and head about a week ago so i put a sweater on him, and to my dismay this only allowed the dry skin to build up and make him stinky and his hair matted up on his back to the point that if i brush him im pulling the hair out myself. this week i switched to a hypoallergenic shampoo and conditioner but still no change. however im not sure if this is useful but the original spot where the dry skin occured on his back when scratched makes his leg spasm..... im doing my best to avoid going to the vet and look like a fool because ive been told by several goroomers, and breeder friends that yorkies get really dry skin in the cold michigan winters. HELP!!!!
casi is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!