View Single Post
Old 04-03-2010, 07:04 AM   #8
maggies_mommy
YorkieTalk Newbie!

Hi,

I am a new Yorkie owner myself, and when I first got my baby at 14 weeks she just was scared. Even when i got her from the breeder (all the other puppies were friendly). She was just the scared and timid. Anyways, we did a couple of things. The first is she loves her crate. That is her hang out spot, sleep spot, leave me alone spot, and I am scared spot. So, when she is gets scared she runs in and hides in her cage. That is her "spot". So, I would suggest a crate. If you do it right, they will love their crate and it makes it easier to potty train. Maggie only goes out side because we do the crate at night and in the morning she goes and then outside first thing when she wakes up.

The other thing I would suggest is to play with her in one area. We got Maggie accustomed to both houses she would be living in, and to our jobs since she comes to work with me. This wasn't easy at first she would only hide under the entryway table so that is where we set up shop. We gave her blanket and toys, so she quickly saw that it was her area. We also put her crate there too. Eventually she used that blanket as border patrol. Which is great now. When she first started out she would only play on the blanket. Now that I have had her for two weeks she has explored the entire house. She feels comfortable here, and at the other house. Now if I am away and my boyfriend is here she is scared so she hides in her crate until she feels like it is okay to come out.

I also played with her in her areas to get her use to being there and being comfortable. Any new noise scares her but now she knows that if she is with me that she won't get hurt so its okay to explore that noise. She looks to me for queues.

I would recommend getting to know you puppy and watching her. Possibly get an x-pen , and a crate. Whenever we travel we bring the crate. Even the beach, we went out last weekend and brought her black blanket and crate to the beach. She only played on the perimeter of her blanket because that was safe for her. When she got to uncomfortable she just went back to her crate and hung out until she felt safe again.

She is scared of new things, loud noises, anything unknown. With our courage and we pretend to explore she has gotten very brave. Brave enough that she will go check out a noise and sometimes try to bite it in the air. Its funny. Anyways good luck.

Sarah
maggies_mommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!