View Single Post
Old 04-01-2010, 06:36 PM   #4
MaddiesMommie
LoveMy2
Donating Member

My Maddie came home at about 11 weeks. The first thing I noticed was her left eye looked a little smaller than her right. The vet gave her Cyclosporin ointment and she soon recovered. However, a few months later, again she started having greenish/yellowish discharge. So, again we were on the cyclosporin. She was on this ointment for about 3-4 months with NO improvement. Finally, Ladymom helped me because her girl, Lady, also suffers with dry eye.

I found out my vet had not done basic tests on Maddie such as the Schirmer strip test or dye test. I decided to seek the care of another vet. Immediatly, our new vet did the appropriate tests to confirm that Maddie was making NO tears in her left eye. We tried a different drug, Tacrolimus, with no luck. This vet felt that Maddie needed to see an ophthamologist. We went to UT vet school. They tried her on an oral stimulate and reached the conclusion she was born without a properly working tear duct. The ophthamologist did mention the surgery you mentioned, however, Maddie is doing okay with drops, Genteal gel for Severe Dry Eye, applied to her eye every few hours.

The ophthamologist discussed a few drawbacks of the surgery. Although, it is usually successful, there are times when a dog actually have complications from their saliva being in their eye. In these cases, the surgery has to be reversed. Also, since dogs do not salivate constantly, most still need additional lubrication.

I hope whatever you decide, you seek the care of an ophthamologist. Eyes are nothing to mess around with and can cause your pup severe pain and discomfort if not treated properly. Good luck.
MaddiesMommie is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!