View Single Post
Old 04-01-2010, 05:32 PM   #44
Woogie Man
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by livingdustmops View Post
HaHa...well hell the only thing you picked on was the last sentence...
Hahaha...Cindy, you know I'm not picking on. I really didn't find much to disagree with and wasn't really looking to. I know this can be a charged subject, but we should all feel free to express ourselves.

I think it's great that you've donated to help the animals in Haiti and I wouldn't be against bringing some here for adoption due to the situation there. I am against seeking to import dogs for shelter adoptions in the normal course of things, however. I know first-hand how the animals suffer during a disaster as I live in the impact area of Hurricane Katrina. It really was staggering....animals just wandering the streets with a lost look in their eyes, and not just strays. I saw quite a few obviously well cared for pure breds wandering aimlessly. If it wasn't for outside groups, many more animals would have suffered and it was bad enough as it was. So, hats off to you for remembering the Haitian animals.

Gosh, I missed quite a few posts due to company coming over. After reading through them, I'll just comment that even though the HSUS and PETA are certainly the most well-funded groups, people shouldn't look to them for solutions. I don't think their missions are to get down to the nuts and bolts of solving this problem. My own opinion is that both these groups are squandering money for uses other than what was intended by many donors. Actually, the truth may be that many local shelters aren't doing all they can with THEIR resources and I think that deserves more attention. To focus on PETA and HSUS really sidetracks from what is a local issue multiplied many times over nationwide. Also, local in the sense that every region has unique circumstances and national in the sense that there are common problems with common solutions.

Back to the disaster scenario. I saw what can be done after Katrina when shelters co-operate and network. It's amazing what can be done when people put their minds to it. Maybe the solutions are already in front of our faces but we only put them to use when a disaster strikes. The rest of the time it seems like business as usual...which overall is a failure.

I REALLY need to get Winograd's books, but from what I've read from him so far leads me to think he's on the right track. His is a voice that needs to be heard.
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!