View Single Post
Old 04-01-2010, 04:33 PM   #42
livingdustmops
Princess Poop A Lot
Donating Member

I didn't say I wouldn't post again but I DO NOT want this to be a PETA post...

Here is a website that I agree with:

Animal Advocates Society of BC | Dog Breeding Regulations - "Too Many Dogs"

Why is there so much breeding of dogs?
The major reason is easy, untraceable, untaxable money - Animal Advocates estimates, from scrutinizing some pet stock sections of the Sun and the Province newspapers, that there are dogs and puppies being offered for sale some weeks by private individuals to the value of $300,000. Further hundreds of thousands of dollars worth are being sold in pet stores. (In 1999, Animal Advocates Society submitted to many municipalities our report/proposal to improve the lives of puppies in pet stores, "Pups in Pet Stores - Legalized Cruelty".)

Because dog breeding and reselling is entirely unregulated, it became a "cottage industry", a source of undeclared income, and often a supplement to welfare. See our investigative report "Breeding and Puppymills in BC".

Because breeding is unregulated, abuse is endemic. To allow this is a betrayal of helpless dogs.

Throughout the province of BC there are thousands of backyard casual breeders, puppymills and puppy resellers. No municipality is exempt. Puppy reselling is an issue that can and should be dealt with through business licensing, but standards need to be written. Currently there are no regulations, and reselling puppies in quantity has become a big business.

Even in municipalities that have no actual puppymills (very few) there is casual backyard breeding where puppies are sold while too young, unhealthy, and unidentifiable. Puppy reselling — the importing and selling of puppymill pups — is also on the increase.

The answer to the result of uncontrolled breeding — thousands of abandoned and unwanted dogs — is not just kinder pounds and ever more people trying to rehabilitate, retrain, and rehome all the abandoned, surrendered, and desocialized dogs that we show in our Investigative Report "No More Yard Dogs". Rescue and rehoming and kind pounds are the "feel good" solutions, but all these have the effect of "enabling" the breeders to escape their moral responsibility to the pups they breed and sell. Breeders could not escape their responsibility without all the kind "rehomers and rescuers" who take that responsibility for them. The breeders of unclaimed dogs in pounds could be fined, making the breeder responsible, if all pups had to be micochipped.

The responsibility must be placed where it belongs for the problem to ever change. Breeding licenses that demand standards of care and identification, and are not cheap, will discourage many backyard and puppy mill breeders.

Licensing breeders will also discourage backyard and puppy mill breeders because of the possibility that the income from the pups will be traceable.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The solution to "Too Many Dogs"
First - why mandatory spay/neuter laws are not the solution

Go to the website to read why mandatory spay/neuter is not the answer...

It also has a link to the sled dog issue which few people know about...I believe many dogs suffer and die because of that hobby.
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!