View Single Post
Old 04-01-2010, 02:40 PM   #2
mumstot
YorkieTalk Newbie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max's New Mom View Post
Hi everyone~ I'm really curious to see if anyone else has dealt with this in a young puppy...First off I'm a fairly new YT Mom and my little guy is only 8 months now. When I got him he was 5 months old and I noticed that he would hold his one eye shut/squint alot and there was also some yellow mucousy discharge. I took him to the vet and they gave me an antibiotic thinking it was "pink eye". The ointment didn't really do much for him and I continued to put rewetting drops in because that seemed to work better. Any way- today I took him to the vet again and asked them to do the tears test and his eye barely registered a 1 on the stick! The vet says he hasn't seen this type of severe dry eye in a pup so young. He wants me to use Optimune 2x a day as well as keep using the genTeel gel several times a day. We go back for a recheck in 2 weeks. I looked online and see that Yorkies sometimes do not have enough of the tear producing gland tissue.

Has anyone had this with their little baby and if so what have you done for them? A possible option that the vet talked about way down the road is transposition- from what I have heard/read the "re-route" a saliva gland to the eye?

Anyone with info to pass on to Max and me would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks!!
Im sorry I am just now seeing this post.
My baby, Chloe, was diagnosed with KCS when she was 3 months old. SHe is now 4 years. I have tried every drop on the market and the best I have found that works for her is Systane. We have also tried chemo drugs to try to " restart" the tear duct production but have been unsuccessful. I can assure you that Chloe lives a full an happy life, even with this terrible thing we deal with daily.

Please let me know if you have any questions. I will be happy to help any way I can.
God Bless...
Mitzi
mumstot is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!