View Single Post
Old 04-01-2010, 12:09 PM   #36
QuickSilver
Thor's Human
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by livingdustmops View Post
I think we also have to remember where the stats come from on euthanizing these animals. Last I knew it was from city owned shelters and shelters/rescues/humane organizations voluntering this info. It was expressed in the article I read a few years ago it was believe it was only 50% of the true numbers and I can imagine in todays economy it is worse. I also remember when I lived in Tucson the city run shelter was running out of $$$ so they started charging people who were turning in their animals and guess what people just started dumping them in the desert and they were starving to death. I also just read an article where a massive grave was found in Tucson where animals were shot to death or allowed to starve. It was found because someone saw horse there..desert of death.
These stats are required by law in many places, and I think they should be everywhere. Maybe I'm missing what you mean... are you saying that all shelters have a 90%+ kill rate, and PETA is just being honest about it?

I've heard about Tucson... I'm still not sure that justifies so much euthanasia. Winograd's argument is that many shelters have adopted a defeatist attitude towards adoption; they don't trust the public to adopt (despite the fact that the animals are almost guaranteed to die in the shelter); many won't allow rescue groups to take dogs from their care (though again, why not allow them to take dogs if they have no chance in the current shelter), or don't bother to notify rescues if qualifying dogs come in; and they don't want to tighten up and demand excellence, or even competance, from their employees.

Again, I don't think this is all shelters, but it is giving me a lot of food for thought.
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!