View Single Post
Old 04-01-2010, 11:54 AM   #32
QuickSilver
Thor's Human
Donating Member

<Duh, responding to livingdustmops>

But Winograd DOES have an answer to the size of the pet population. Maybe it's wrong, but here it is:

- over half of the dogs in shelters can be re-united with their original homes. They get lost in the shelter system and are euthanized instead.

- of the remaining 4 million pets, 20 million people want to get a pet this year. 3 million already plan to adopt from a shelter. So even capturing a tiny percent of the remaining 17 million would mean that virtually all of these animals can be adopted out.

The thing that sickens me about PETA is not that it's 3,000 or whatever... it's the 90% kill rate. With a budget most shelters would die for. How can PETA claim to stand for ethical treatment of animals when it doesn't bother to take care of the animals in its charge? This is unforgivable. The ASPCA in the area has an almost zero kill rate, WITH open admissions, and a fraction of the budget.

I know PETA has brought attention to other areas of animal cruelty. They are good at making noise. I think they should acknowledge their grevious errors at shelter management, and either man up, go no-kill, or get out of the shelter business.

Last edited by QuickSilver; 04-01-2010 at 11:56 AM.
QuickSilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!