View Single Post
Old 03-29-2010, 09:16 AM   #1
annamc
Yorkie Talker

Default Asking Yorkie advice

As of yesterday, I now have an extremely sweet 1-yr-old female Yorkie whose owners found they had too many dogs to handle. She seems to be in great health, but I have a vet appointment later today for a checkup. She's not spayed, but I'll be taking care of that soon.

Quite a few years ago, I had two much-loved Yorkies who passed away of old age. They had originally belonged to my parents, and when I began to take care of them, I did the same things that my parents had. Recently, I became aware of stuff I didn't know about then that would have been enormously useful -- like full-body halters instead of regular collars and leashes.

I want to take the best care I can of Miss Molly so she stays as bouncy and healthy and happy as she is right now, and lives at least as long as they did. What would you recommend as the best book and/or website to read to find out the most important Yorkie-specific care guidelines? Back in the Neolithic era, when I was a teenager and my parents had first bought the Yorkies, the care books I'd read were pretty generic and not overly useful. (They had advice like "Be gentle with your Yorkie. Do not drop it from a great height." Well, DUH.)

Also, what brand/kind of toys would be the best to get from Petco? I've heard some can choke a dog with plastic bits that chew off. My husband will be wanting to play fetch with her for hours on end.

Many thanks,

Anna M.C.
annamc is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!