View Single Post
Old 03-23-2010, 07:35 AM   #8
yorkieusa
Crazy about Kacee!
Donating Member

I found this and thought I'd share it here:

Overview

The Yorkie is very prone to early tooth decay, much more so than many other dog breeds.

Because of this, proper dental care is extremely important.

Tooth decay can lead to very serious health issues:

•Bacteria may build up and enter into the bloodstream

•There may be tooth loss, leading to eating problems; this leading to nutrient deprivation

•Tooth decay can cause great pain for the Yorkie, which is avoidable if regular dental care is provided....both at home and with the veterinarian

Let's discuss all the important aspects of proper dental care and the teeth of the Yorkshire Terrier.

The Yorkshire Terrier is prone to dental issues. Dental care is vitally important. The yellowing on this Yorkie's back teeth are a sign of tarter buildup and a needed professional cleaning.

When Should Dental Care Begin?

Dental care for the Yorkie must begin the moment you bring your Yorkie home. If you have a Yorkshire Terrier puppy, you will want to begin taking care of their teeth at a young age. This will allow your puppy to become very accustomed to having their teeth touched and cleaned.

If you bring home an older Yorkie, one of the first things that you should do is to bring your dog to the vet. Not only for a medical checkup, but for a dental checkup. It does not matter if you received your Yorkie from the best breeder in the world or rescued your dog from a shelter...you will have no idea of the status of the dog's teeth and what type of dental care was previously given.

How Often Should I Brush My Yorkie's Teeth?

At the very least, you should brush your Yorkie's teeth 1 time per week. We highly recommend brushing each day. Taking care of your dog's teeth can be a part of their normal daily schedule. A scraping should be done 1 time per month.

How Often Does a Yorkie Need a Professional Cleaning?

This should be done 1 time ever 2 years by an experience and trusted veterinarian. Some dog breeds receive professional cleanings every year. You would at first think that the Yorkie, being prone to dental disease, should have the same. However, the Yorkshire Terrier is very sensitive to anesthesia. Most professional cleaning are done by using anesthesia on the dog, so that the dog does not move while this careful cleaning is being performed.

You will be removing plaque and the veterinarian will be removing tarter. Tarter is a yellow color. When you notice this on your dog's teeth, this will be your sign that your Yorkshire Terrier needs to go to the vet for a professional cleaning.

How Do I Clean My Yorkie's Teeth?

Never use human toothpaste. A dog can swallow a lot of paste during the cleanings and the fluoride which is found in human tooth paste can wreak havoc in a dog's system.

A dog finger tooth brush should be used. With some dog breeds, a dog tooth brush is used. However, it is recommended to use the finger brush; doing so will help you know if you are applying enough pressure.

Use a dog toothpaste only.

Begin at the earliest age possible. You may wish to begin by allowing your Yorkie to become used to having your finger in their mouth. For the first week, set aside 10 minutes per day to have your dog sit down with you. Rub your finger all along your dog's teeth. Be sure to touch all of the teeth. When your Yorkie sits still and behaves, reward your dog will happy praise, hugs and a small treat.

You may find that a young puppy is very hyper and will not want to sit still. However, if you remain constant and do this each day, your Yorkie will learn that when you say "Tooth Time" or whatever command you do use, that it is time to sit close to you and have their teeth touched.

After a week or so, begin using the dog finger tooth brush. You will put a dab of dog toothpaste on this. Be sure to brush all of the teeth and all sides of the teeth.

How do I Scrap My Dog's Teeth?

Since it is best for your Yorkie to have their teeth scraped by you, instead of at the veterinarians while under anesthesia, is recommend to do a scraping 1 time per month. An owner should not feel intimidated. This is very similar to when humans use a plague scraper.

Some owners actually opt to use a human plaque scraper, which can be purchased at any store in the dental care section. However, there are scrapers made specifically for small breed dogs. This is recommended, since the Yorkie is very small and a scraper for small breeds will fit easily into the dog's mouth.

The dog should sit down (and should already be used to having their teeth touched from the daily or weekly tooth brushings).

As you carefully scrap each tooth, use a paper towel to wipe the plaque from the scraper. If not, this could be swallowed by your Yorkie and cause health issues.

Since your dog will be trying very hard to behave and sit nicely while you do this, when your dog sits still for this, give a small treat as a reward every few minutes.

Once the teeth are scraped, you should follow up with a brushing. And then of course, with a yummy dog treat to reward your Yorkie for being so good.

YorkieInfoCenter | Dental Care for the Yorkshire Terrier
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!