View Single Post
Old 03-22-2010, 04:32 PM   #10
Ava Mae
Senior Yorkie Talker

Quote:
Originally Posted by lil fu fu girl View Post
Bear with me this is long...

Ingredient list from all three:
(De-boned turkey, potato flour, pea, potato, whole dried egg)NOW top 5.

(Fresh chicken meat, chicken meal (low ash), turkey meal, steamed russet potato, fresh-caught Northern Whitefish)Orijens top 5

(Turkey, Turkey Broth, Turkey Liver, Ground Barley, Sweet Potatoes) Wellness top 5.

Honestly, I feed my 7 year old and the 1 year old Evo, because of all the protein. I was wondering why you changed because of the protein? Out of the three above, just by looking at the top 5 ingredients I would go with the Orijen! LOL
Out of the other two I think that the Wellness looks good,as it has meat or a product of that meat in the top 3 positions, and then grains and carbs.

Now however, has only 1 meat in the top 5 and then the potato flour is for carbs, as well as the peas and the potatoes. Too me, imo, it sounds like a lot of carbs.

In consideration that you are mixing two of them together, probably the best of both worlds.
So many people have so many different perspectives on their pups diet. I can only speak for me, I always look at the top 5 ingredients as that is going to hold the major percentage of what is actually in the bag/can.
I prefer to feed a diet that is more like the ancestral one,imo.

In anthropology, researchers can tell the diet of an animal by the teeth that it has: flats/molars for grinding plants, and incisors for tearing flesh.
A dogs teeth set includes 6 incisors,2 canines, and 8 premolars, so meat should be a primary food in their diet, in consideration of their teeth set. So that is what I go by.
But the long and short of it is, you have to feel comfortable feeding your pup, so if the research so dictates you to head to Wellness and Now, then go with your research.
Great analysis!

I stopped feeding her Orijen because I felt the protein was hard on her system. She had a bout of colitis early on, and she`s not outside running around a lot. I thought moving from a food with 40% protein (Orijen) to one which was also grain free and had a 28% protein content (NOW!) would balance things out better.

I also questioned the fact that potato flour was the second ingredient in NOW!... the owner of the pet store said it was a good source of fiber. I was going to try Innova or Wellness instead of NOW!.

I suppose it`s a bit of trial and error? Your feedback was great, and very very helpful!
Ava Mae is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!