Thread: Licking Paws
View Single Post
Old 03-21-2010, 06:14 PM   #11
Wylie's Mom
Furbutts = LOVE
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddavis6326 View Post
Why does she do this? Do I need to take her to the vet?
Try to think of when this started (time of year), is it new, is it worse / better?
Also check www.pollen.com and enter your zip code - how are the pollens in your area right now?

I live in Phoenix (aka, allergy central) - just notorious for human and animal allergies. My Marcel has allergies (pollens). Allergies, esp. in the beginning are a real pain - bc they can be from food, chemicals, pollens, dust, whatever - or a combo of things. For dogs though, only about 10-15% of allergies are from food -- so it's more likely to be dealing w/ enviro/seasonal. Paw licking and chewing is one of the cardinal signs of allergies. Is there any itching? How are the ears and eyes?

The first steps are getting to the vet, and yup, ruling out that it's not due to anything else - and ruling in that the suspicion is allergies. If the suspicion is allergies -- then there are several OTC anti-hists dogs can try (have to try for at least 10-14d before trying a diff. one). If that does not work, there is Temaril-P, Atopica (this is what Marcel is on), steroids etcetera.

If food allergies are suspected, then you have to do an elimination diet.

However, if the symptoms took off when pollens also increased in your areas - you have a pattern (and clues) toward pollens right there....

°¨¨¨°ºOº°¨¨¨° Ann | Pfeiffer | Marcel Verdel Purcell | Wylie | Artie °¨¨¨°ºOº°¨¨¨°
Wylie's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!