View Single Post
Old 11-22-2005, 12:46 PM   #1
stingray2042
Donating Yorkie Yakker

Introducing my little Sheltie…let me explain...

I began working from home 4-days a week several months ago (after 20+ years of commuting). I decided that I needed a puppy to keep me company during the day because I’m home alone. I decided that my puppy had to be a Sheltie. I researched the breed and talked to breeders and finally found the pup for me.

Well my husband did not want a dog in the house (yes…he said dog!)…but eventually he relented. He initially agreed to the Sheltie…but…since he really did not want a dog in the house and the Sheltie was a big dog (I don’t think so)…we agreed that I would NOT get a Sheltie. Our compromise was that I would get a small dog. My heart was broken…I could not have my Sheltie pup!

About a month passed and I was ready to negotiate again with my husband about what kind of pup I could get…we agreed on a Yorkie. I had NO experience with Yorkies, do not know anyone who has a Yorkie. Frankly…I just needed some company and I figured something was better than nothing…what an attitude!

I searched our local classified ads and called a lady who had an AKC pup. On 8 Oct we took a 1.5 hour drive to go take a look. The lady had been waiting for us and greeted us quickly upon arrival. She told us to wait while she got the pup. She went to the backroom of her house and brought out a little black/tan puppy. The puppy was very shy and started shivering. The lady looked a bit alarmed and stated that the pup had never done this before. I held her for a bit (as she shivered). My husband and daughter just looked on and smiled. My husband asked me, what was that “crusty” stuff on her ears? I said I didn’t know. We’ll, I wasn’t impressed with the pup. I asked my husband what he thought…shrugged his shoulders and said it was my call. For some unknown, CRAZY, reason…I said “ok…” wondering ….”What did I just do?” My heart was not really in this.

We got the pup home (she shivered and got car sick on the way home). I immediately offered her some water (with a bit of Karo syrup). She sipped a bit. Offered her food which she refused. I’m again thinking…what did I do? I noticed that she was scratching her ears A LOT. She was smelly too…what did I get myself into?

I bought a mite infested, ear infected, shy, itchy, smelly little rat looking (expensive) little creature. AND… I noticed that the lady’s name did not match the name of the breeder that was on the AKC paperwork. She did say that she was selling this pup for her “aunt.” Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

Needless to say, we have totally fallen in love with this little Yorkie girl…Lolita “Lola” Francesca. She is so smart (up, puppy kisses, sit, down, rings bell, doing VERY well at potty training…goes on pad and will ring the bell to go outside. She does have an accident now and then…but that’s ok, she’ll get it! She doesn’t bark (well...10 times so far)…but she does makes these baby noises!

She just melts my heart when I look at her…sorry…I’m gushing…I just never thought that I could be in love with a “dog!” Our union was meant to be…I call her my little Sheltie.

I will post some pics soon and will eventually get an “avatar…” posted if I can every figure that out!

THANK YOU ALL for your postings. I think I have read every posting on this site! I have learned so much from you…I cannot properly convey to you all…how much you have helped me and Lola!
stingray2042 is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!