View Single Post
Old 03-20-2010, 01:59 PM   #15
gemy
YT 2000 Club
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjh View Post
Another thing people need to watch for is when you are traveling to and from the show, use caution and try not to leave your dog unattended in a car. I know on long trips people need to stop and get gas and use the restroom. I have heard of several instances where dogs were stolen from the vehicles when the owners were inside the store. If you are traveling alone then it can present a problem. I always lock the vehicle door, even if I am running in for a minute. If it is hot weather I leave the motor running with the a/c on. I have a spare key for the door locks to carry with me.

Yes good advice. I would also like to emphasize if at all possible travel with your dogs in crates. They are so much safer. If you have to stop suddenly, or if you are involved in an accident, those crates can literally save their lives. I'm not sure if it was on this list or another one I belong to but one owner - tapes their dogs medical history onto the crates, along with the pet insurance coverage, and a number to contact should the owners be uncapable of making decisions on their dog's care. Also with your dogs in crates, a frightened hurt dog can be safely removed from the car by rescue workers.

I am in the process of gathering together this info for my dogs, even in the city you live in it can help save your dogs life.
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!